Here’s the next monthly update on how I’m doing on my 11 for 11 goals.
Yes, I’m trying to follow my own advice. After all, how can I say whether or not 11for11 is worth doing unless I try it myself?
Let’s see how I did this month (February 2011):
- Read 11 new books this year – so far I’ve finished three new books this year: two novels and one non-fiction book. Meanwhile I have at least three non-fiction books on the go. I’ll have no problem making this goal… although I still haven’t finished those non-fiction books yet.
- Exercise 11 minutes per day – I hit this goal in January. If I tally it up and figure out the average, I exercised over 15 minutes per day. I’m resetting this goal to be 15 minutes/day (on average) in March.
- Connect with 11 new people every month – I attempted to connect with 11 people this month. I didn’t always succeed, but I tried.
- Reconnect with 11 people you know every month – I hit this goal this month, through a mixture of online and offline folks.
- Write 11 minutes per day – yes, on average. This was attained in part through journal entries that I wrote most days of the week.
- Write another 11 minutes per day – it’s starting to vex me that I didn’t meet this goal. I really need to buckle down and do this. I think I need to set a fixed time and/or place and do this (in conjunction with #5).
- Explore 11 new places this year – again, no progress. Still plenty of time, though.
- Experiment with 11 different art forms at least once in 2011 – I continued to play some guitar this month but I need to work on this. I foresee some drawing experiments.
- If something gets you down or stresses you out, repeat the following phrase 11 times (slowly): “Everything is temporary – this, too, shall pass.” Still didn’t need to resort to this one yet!
- Add 11 good habits into your life or get rid of 11 bad habits in 2011 – In addition to exercise, I worked on drinking 8 – 9 glasses of water per day. I was reasonably successful about this, but more so during the work week than on the weekends.
- Write 11 kickass blog posts, essays, articles, letters – in February, a number of people liked the 37 creative uses of a single vacati0n day post. Other people, including me, liked the post about Johnny Cash and cover songs. Whichever you liked, I feel comfortable in claiming at least one of these in February. 10 more to go.
Overall ranking for February: needs improvement (and more planning) but I feel that I did better this month than last month. I feel like I’m in decent shape on eight of the 11for11 resolutions (same as last month).
I think that I can still achieve all of these goals in 2011, but I need to work a bit harder in March!